Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Explanation

Good morning to everyone.  I received input that some readers were disturbed by yesterday’s posting referring to a “murder of crows”.  They evidently thought something sinister was going on. 
Here is a brief explanation:  "One of the craziest oddities of the English language is that there are so many different collective nouns that all mean group but which are specific to that particular thing there is a group of, i.e. a herd of elephants, a crowd of people, a box of crayons, a pad of paper, a sleuth of bears and… a murder of crows".  If you have never taken the time to sit and watch a “murder of crows”, try it sometime.  Their antics are very entertaining.
Have a great day.  Due to my upcoming schedule I will not post again for about a week.

1 comment:

  1. That is funny. I have to admit I wasn't really sure what it meant so I had to look it up. I found the explanation and history behind it here: http://word-ancestry.livejournal.com/58301.html
    People should never make assumptions. If they aren't sure they should look it up first... or ask! I liked the post. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete