Saturday, December 8, 2012

2012 Mule Deer Buck



I realize that hunting is not for everyone.  Just like a myriad of other activities that are not universally enjoyed by each person in the population, hunting has a unique set of participants.  You either have the instincts, skills and inclination for it...or you don't. I have come to the realization that I will probably never convince a true anti-hunting person that it is an honorable tradition even though that same person openly supports the killing of animals for food.  Anti-hunters commonly frequent meat markets, supermarket meat counters and restaurants looking for a nice pot roast, or a leg of lamb, or a rotisserie chicken. It is also a given that an experienced hunter will never be swayed away from the principals and values of true fair chase hunting.  I personally believe that it is more honorable to eat animals that have a fair chance rather than those that are forced to endure the slow walk, down a fenced path, to the waiting butcher.  Hunting is most assuredly an integral part of the subsistence life style, and it provides me with a great sense of satisfaction knowing that I can and do provide for my family in a very traditional way.  Hunting is also a very challenging endeavor.  To venture to the wild remote country and seek an animal in his domain, facing his advanced senses and superior physical abilities is very humbling and at times frightening.  Anyone who says differently has simply never really experienced actual fair chase hunting. There will always be opinions on both sides of this issue and we may never reach a meaningful treaty; but I have a feeling that if the apocalyptic Mayan predictions come to pass there may be a few suddenly converted anti-hunters knocking on my door asking me if I could help feed their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment