Saturday, December 15, 2012

Oven Roasted What?




The aroma was simply overwhelming and unmistakable, roasting meat of some sort. Perhaps beef, or pork, I wasn't exactly sure but it was remarkable, as if I as true carnivore, had died and gone to heaven.  Mary and I had been invited to an old friend's house to take a lesson on the construction of homemade tamales.  Tamales are a Christmas tradition for many families and we wanted to learn the technique for our own holiday.  After the obligatory greetings and small talk I blurted out, "what in the heck are you cooking?"  Max, our friend, took me to his oven and opened the door.  For a brief moment I was stunned, but I did my best to conceal my shock.  There in the oven, roasted to a nice dark brown color, was a whole cow's head.  Sensing my apprehension, Max said the meat on a cow's head makes the best tamales and I would love it.  He was not wrong.  Ever since that day nearly 30 years ago we have tried to make tamales at least once a year.  It's a very labor intensive process but well worth the effort.  If you ever come to our home and smell what seems to be an amazing pot roast in the oven don't be surprised at what you find if you take a peek.

1 comment: