Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mary's

Off the beaten path, where it seems we prefer to spend most of our time, is a small sleepy town known as Los Cerrillos.  At first glance it looks like the only thing to do there is watch dogs sleep, but if you poke around enough you may just find the local hot spot.  We did..."Mary's Bar".  The building certainly exhibits years of use, and when I stepped through the front door I was not sure what kind of welcome I would receive.  A little white haired lady (95 year old Mary) sitting at a table in the middle of the room yelled at me to close the door, "You're letting all my flies out!" she hollered.  I wasn't sure if I should laugh or leave, so I just asked her if she had any cold beer. She put down her pencil, looked up at me through squinty little eyes, and with an almost disgusted look, said “well sure!”. 
We spent part of that afternoon sipping brewed spirits from  chilled bottles, while listening to Mary’s daughter tell stories about the history of the town (established in 1879) and all the crazy miners that once lived there.  At one point there were over 200 bars open for business in Los Cerrillos, but now... it's just "Mary's".





1 comment: